Friday, September 6, 2013

Apple Days

You know Fall is near when you find yourself picking apples!
I am blessed to have a place where I can pick all the apples I want for free!
I picked a Bushel and a half and could have picked more if I could have reached them.




 
They were a little small but tasted good!
So I made apple sauce! I'm pretty sure these were Winesap apples.

Core the apples and cut any bad spots out. Put them in a large pot with about 2-3 cups of water. 
Cook them until tender. Stirring very often so the ones on the bottom don't burn.


I have this great attachment for my kitchen aid that makes easy work of smashing the apples into sauce. I didn't have this the first few years I made sauce and boy does it make a difference!

I added 4 cups of sugar to 15 pints of sauce. The apples were a little tart so you can add or subtract the amount of sugar to your taste. I have a sweet tooth!
I also added some water until I got the consistency that I like. Not to thick and not to thin.

 
I then jarred it and processed it in a water bath for 20 minutes!
I love having it!
And I LOVE Fall!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment